The Path of Life

The Path of Life

Saturday, March 31, 2012

By this cross

Path of Reflection through Scripture
Holy Week


Palm Sunday of the Passion of the Lord
Gospel for Sunday, April 1, 2012: Mark 14:1-15:47
Read it here


Staggering under the weight,
too weary to even stumble.

Strength is sapped.
Life is poured out
in tears, sweat, blood.

Anguish deeper than pain.

There is simply nothing left.

Nothing.

Welling up, this nothingness cries out.

Yet, its very sound is one of hope -- faint but fearless:

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

Ears open to the voice of sincerity, humility, faith.

I can hear my nothingness.

See my dignity.

Touch my identity.

Something sterner than death arises.

Beating in harmony with a force other than being.

There is light, and it sings.

This cross I have, I must need.

Why is beyond the mind’s eye,
guarded by Truth and Love.

The reply rises softly, lingers, prods.

It is unmistakable.

Always present.

Rarely heard:

If any want to become my followers,
let them deny themselves
and take up their cross daily
and follow me.

 This is my Beloved Son,
with whom I am well pleased.
Listen to him.

Yes! By his wounds, I have been healed:

 Lord, help me with this cross.
Now I know it only makes sense
if it is borne for another's sake.


Mystery enlightens.

Weakness is made strong.

The back straightens; feet become steady.

This cross is still here.

But now it embraces all.

Through,
with,
in
One:

 Truly,
this man
was the
Son of God.

My soul shall live for him,
declaring to all:

It is accomplished;
these things
the Lord
has done!
 
By this cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment